Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blog 3

This week we began searching for more articles to support our topics and annotated bibliographies. My topic is Motivation in E-learning. I started with Keeping E-learners Interested, but I think Motivation in E-learning is a more direct approach and that I'll be able to find more supporting articles for that topic. So far I have three of the necessary articles for the bibliography. One of the articles discusses five strategies to enhance learner motivation in e-learning design. It tells how to incorporate past successful instructional enhancers into current e-learning courses. It is a very interesting article and I'm sure there are more out there to be found. Here it is if you would like to read it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18990507/Learning-Solutions-Motivating-Learnings-to-Learn

1 comment:

  1. Motivating the learner should always be the golden rule in e-learning. If you cannot motivate the learner and keep their attention the battle is already lost. Of the five points listed, I agree with three of them the most. Motivation, applying visual interest and telling a story are all great techniques in maintaining one’s attention. Relevance which is a subtopic under motivations is major concern to me. If the topic is not something I enjoy a teacher must make a strong argument that the topic at hand is applicable in real life. How else do you expect the learners to be motivated to learn?

    Lecturing and plain text can only so far in keeping one's attention even if the topic is interesting. A teacher should always be open to using visual aids. Photos, videos, charts can go a long way in complimenting one's ideas. Even if it’s as simple as adding animations to a PowerPoint slide, it’s a break from the typical lecture or run of the mill training session.

    Last but not least is telling a story. Some of the most interesting courses I have taken are the ones with professors who told stories. Although most of the time the stories were only remotely related to the subject, its helps maintain an interest by the learner. Not everything can be clear cut and directly relate to real life. It does however, goes a long way in showing why a particular skill or knowledge of a topic can be beneficial to you in the real world.

    ReplyDelete